Friday, January 4, 2008

My Middle Name Is Late, or Should Have Been

I hate getting up in the morning. I am absolutely one of the worst about being able to actually get up in the morning and getting ready. Not necessarily bad at the getting ready part, I can put on jeans with the best of them, but the getting up part leaves something to be desired. Today was no exception. The alarm went off at 6:25am (which was actually 6:15...I set it early to fool myself into thinking it's later, but it never works...I think it's cause I have calculated to the minute how much early it is and how much longer this will give me to sleep in...*sighs*) and as usual I hit snooze, rolled over and went back to sleep, at least that's what I believe happened but as I don't remember... I'm going with it. Then (also an assumption, because the memory of this evades me) I continue to hit snooze as the morning day ticks away bringing me closer to the time when I should be at work. At about 7am every morning Michelle calls me and pretty much pesters the crap outta me until I get up, sometimes this is 7:05am sometimes it is 8am.

The 7:05am days are the good days...today was not one of those days. Apparently somewhere in between my snooze hits and Michelle's constant callings (all of which I don't remember, btw) 7:05am came and went. Michelle finally got me to wake up at 7:47am. I am going to pause now and just say that I'm really greatful she's so patient and persistent...without her who knows if I would even be able to keep a job? So thanks Michelle for being on the other end of that persistently ringing phone.

Ok, back to my morning. At this time (7:48am) I start crying immediately. Then I start thinking, man I hate this about myself...blah blah blah as I made a mad dash to my collection of clothes and picked out literally whatever I could get my hands on first which happened to be a 2005 National Champions UT sweatshirt (that I'm sure I'll be regretting later in the day when it starts warming up), some dark blue jeans that I'm sure I have worn before cause the belt was already in them...one turtle sock (yes one) and one sock with pink flowers on it and tennis shoes. I literally was dressed and had my hair pulled up in under 2 minutes. By the way, I have to be at work at 8am, which I know is not early to most people...but I have never been most people.

This morning getting a late start was especially disappointing because I had to attend a work meeting. This entails standing around in a large office with everyone else I work with while discussions take place about where we are, what we are doing etc. Being late to one of these meetings is absolutely unfun, trust me...I know. Everyone stares at you in ur hastily put together outfit, and my supervisor (such a gem...note the sarcasm) makes a point to address your lateness in front of everyone and takes great pains to ensure you talk as much as possible so everyone looks at you in all your sometimes mismatched, always not the best outfit in the world with unbrushed hair...sucks. I dislike having a roomful of people staring at me if I am not performing in some matter.

So as I dash through the house, and speed on the road (I do not speed on the road generally...) all I can think about is "It is 7:53am, it takes 20-25 minutes to get to work, I am so going to be late...again." You would think that as often as I get to work at 8:15ish I wouldn't mind being late, but in truth I'm not such a big fan. Normally things like dinner with a friend, a movie (although the previews are my fav part) etc I don't stress so much about being late...but work is different. Especially now with my current supervisor, whom I already feel takes every opportunity he can to point out any mistakes I make...which I'm sure has some kind of deep-seated meaning, but I mostly think it's cause he is trying to find a good enough reason to get rid of me...but can't cause he doesn't have that kind of pull (but that is subject for another blog...possibly another day...but who knows? I like the fact that blogging has no rules :D).

I made it! I got to the office at 8:10am by speeding dangerously and a few calculated shortcuts. The meeting hadn't started! I was immediately relieved, and slightly out of breath because I sprinted from the parking place I found close to the building which was actually almost a block away (one of the prices of being late), as I walked into the office and saw everyone filing in to the meeting room. I actually wasn't even the last person in the room! Triumph! One less meeting my supervisor can't make me feel totally inappropriate and embarrassed because of my tardiness..score! (I never say score, maybe it's the sweatshirt?) The fleeting shocked look on my supervisor's face at my appearance in the meeting room before the meeting began was almost worth the plethera of emotions I went through from 7:47am to then...almost. This is only almost because I'm still in a haphazardly put together outfit with unbrushed hair, unbrushed teeth (yes this is nasty...but I have a toothbrush and toothpaste in the office for just this reason...the planning ahead is both a good thing and bad), and I feel rather sloppy.

I think this is the reason I hate being late the most. Because the times I am late out number the times I am early by far and the times I am ontime by some, I never can take the time to make myself look like the 26yr old woman I am...Everyday I vow that I will get up earlier and make the extra effort to look like an adult, and actually brush my hair and my teeth, but it rarely actually happens this way. I really do try to get up, I promise! All I can do to fix it is just continue to try...until something happens and I develop an internal clock or become a lighter sleeper Late will be my middle name, but I'm hoping that will change soon.

*Note...if this blog seems a little weirder than usual or especially choppy, it's cause I've been interrupted numerous times during it...the trials of blogging at work.

1 comment:

Jennifer Owens said...

Hilarious! And hey, you've made progress over the years. You wear jeans to work now and out in public, not the pajama pants in college that would never die! So good job!